Re: Two-button mice and pasting in X

on Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 05:53:46PM -0500, Mark Carroll (mark@chaos.x-philes.com) wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > on Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 11:28:17AM -0500, Mark Carroll (mark@chaos.x-philes.com) wrote:
> > > I want to be able to paste in X from its clipboard with my two-button
> > > mouse. However, I want to be able to do so just by clicking the right
> > > button, instead of both, leaving the buttons' functions unchanged for
> > > anything other than X's pasting. How do I do this?
> >
> > You can remap your mouse buttons.  However, this generally breaks other
> > useful behavior.  IIRC, the copy (l) and paste (middle) bindings are
> > defined at low levels in X.
>
> Thanks for confirming this! I feared that this was the case, given the
> lack of information I was finding on specifically reconfiguring them -
> thanks for saving me wasting any more time looking them up.

Don't absolutely take my word for it, but this is my understanding.  I
poked through the manpages briefly.  Not sure I've ever seen this
modified (and it would be very disorienting if it was).

> > I find that tapping the centerpoint on a two-button mouse generally
> > chords properly.
> >
> > Or...get a three-button mouse ;-)
>
> Unfortunately, I'm using slightly dodgy buttons that are embedded into
> a laptop computer! (-: I can live with emulate3buttons, though - it's
> not all that hard to work like that, really.

Right.  My experiencde has been that it's usually possible to get the
timing right and/or rock fingers from one button to another.  Usually
you want to hit the left mouse button a fraction of a second earlier
than the right.  I usually get the rhythem right quickly on a new
system.

Peace.