Re: Patches applied to stock kernel to make deb kernel image

On Wed, 2001-10-31 at 22:35, Eduard Bloch wrote:

First off I'd just like to say it never ceases to amaze me what packages
are available for Debian. I'm really surprised that someone would have
packaged up ppscsi for instance!

> #include <hallo.h>
> Adam Warner wrote on Wed Oct 31, 2001 um 07:28:19AM:
>
> > I'm not an expert on this but I understand that Debian stays as close to
> > the offical Linus kernel as possible. So if you want to compile your own
> > kernel you should be fine just using a Linus one from kernel.org (or
>
> No. mkcramfs on initrd is broken in Linus's tree, so please don't build
> initrd-aware kernel-image packages without using the debianised source
> package.

Note I did say "your own" kernel. OK I now understand why this doesn't
affect me. My /initrd directory is empty. And I don't have mkcramfs
installed.

I can read "Description: Make a CramFs (Compressed ROM File System)
mkcramfs lets you construct a CramFs (Compressed ROM File System) image
from the contents of a given directory.  Cram file systems are used for
Debian INITRD images." but I still don't understand the purpose of an
INITRD image.

> > mirrors). In my experience you will only need to patch it if you have
> > non-standard hardware requirements (e.g. for one of my computers I
> > require the Parallel Port SCSI patch).
>
> BTW, ppscsi patch is available in the patch-package in Sid. And in
> kernel-image-2.4.13-586-ext3 image.
>
> > make menuconfig (and select the options I want)
>
> Yes, which _you_ want. If someone uses the config file from the Debian
> packages (with initrd), you will see the breakage when you try to boot
> with it.

Thanks for enlightening me to another way to compile kernels under
Debian.

> > make dep
> > make bzImage
> > make modules
> > make modules_install
> > make install
>
> We have "make-kpkg" for such tasks. Makes your life easier.

I can't imagine how it could be easier than my current setup but I'll
look into it.

> > This isn't the standard Debian way of installing a kernel. However I
> > have non-standard requirements like ReiserFS compiled into the kernel
> > image which means I have to compile my own kernels.
>
> Errrr, this is not the reason for not using make-kpkg.

Thanks Eduard. This is the first I've heard of make-kpkg.

Regards,
Adam