Re: Patches applied to stock kernel to make deb kernel image

On Wed, 2001-10-31 at 05:12, Timothy Webster wrote:
> What is procedure is used to make an "official" 2.4 deb kernel image?
> Such as are avialable in unstable.
> What additional patches are required, if any.

I'm not an expert on this but I understand that Debian stays as close to
the offical Linus kernel as possible. So if you want to compile your own
kernel you should be fine just using a Linus one from kernel.org (or
mirrors). In my experience you will only need to patch it if you have
non-standard hardware requirements (e.g. for one of my computers I
require the Parallel Port SCSI patch).

I just tar -jxvf the source to /usr/src/

cd linux

make menuconfig (and select the options I want)

run this script and I'm done:

make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
make install

"make install" replaces vmlinuz and System.map (and renames vmlinuz to
vmlinuz.old and System.map to System.map.old). Plus it will run lilo for
you so you will all set for a reboot.

This isn't the standard Debian way of installing a kernel. However I
have non-standard requirements like ReiserFS compiled into the kernel
image which means I have to compile my own kernels.

> Thanks, maybe with this information I can get my much simpiler custom
> kernel image to find root and boot.

You may have to edit lilo.conf just once so make install will work
automatically in future (i.e. make sure you default boot image is
vmlinuz):

default=Linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only
#       restricted
#       alias=1

image=/boot/vmlinuz.old
        label=LinuxOLD
        read-only
        optional
#       restricted
#       alias=2

I've just read some of the earlier comments at the bottom of your query.
I didn't realise I was missing anything! I haven't been adversely
affected by using the official Linus kernels (and I've gone through a
large number of them)--frankly I would rather have the freedom to be
able to do so (but I'll watch out for any nuggets of enlightenment).

Regards,
Adam