Re: Two-button mice and pasting in X

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> on Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 11:28:17AM -0500, Mark Carroll (mark@chaos.x-philes.com) wrote:
> > I want to be able to paste in X from its clipboard with my two-button
> > mouse. However, I want to be able to do so just by clicking the right
> > button, instead of both, leaving the buttons' functions unchanged for
> > anything other than X's pasting. How do I do this?
>
> You can remap your mouse buttons.  However, this generally breaks other
> useful behavior.  IIRC, the copy (l) and paste (middle) bindings are
> defined at low levels in X.

Thanks for confirming this! I feared that this was the case, given the
lack of information I was finding on specifically reconfiguring them -
thanks for saving me wasting any more time looking them up.

> I find that tapping the centerpoint on a two-button mouse generally
> chords properly.
>
> Or...get a three-button mouse ;-)

Unfortunately, I'm using slightly dodgy buttons that are embedded into a
laptop computer! (-: I can live with emulate3buttons, though - it's not
all that hard to work like that, really.

-- Mark