Re: Newbie comments & queries

on Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:22:01AM +0200, Ian Balchin (fables@imaginet.co.za) wrote:
> Karsten et al.
>

> > We were all in withdrawal on Friday's downtime....
> >
> > > I use a dialup, am waiting for a s/h modem that is coming my way,
> > > 28.8 whatever it was that compaq bought out and shut down.
> >
> > Hmm...28.8 is *really* slow.  You should be able to find 56.6
> > either new or used, I'd strongly recommend it.
>
> I live in the 3rd or maybe 4th world.  My ISP doesn't even have a
> 56.6 modem rack to connect to and the phone lines can barely make
> it to 33.3. the 28.8 Microcom will do fine for email (used to have
> a 9600)

OK, reality check.  I'm used to my friends looking down their noses at
my 56k dialup....

> I've kept the Trident video card which lscpi shows nicely
>
> Will stay in console mode until I find an old computer at an auction
> with some memory inside.  Plenty to learn.  I thought that one could
> have the mouse in midnite commander like in the old dos pctools, but
> probably not.

So long as you're doing console-mode work, you might as well pick up
some tricks that makes it a lot more feasible:

  - Emacs (or xemacs).  Before there were graphical interfaces, emacs
    had windows, sessions, and a shell with the full strength of the
    world's most powerful editor.  If you're doing console based
    computing, it's a very, very powerful tool.

  - Screen.  If you can't wrap your head around emacs (and it does take
    some getting used to), the 'screen' program will give you ten
    terminals for each of your terminal consoles (that's 60 terminals
    counting screen + 6 virtual consoles -- few windowing environments
    can support as much, readily).  I use screen frequently, even in a
    windowing environment.

  - SVGATextMode.  If 24x80 isn't enough display for you, SVGATextMode
    should be ablet to get 40, 43, 50, or even 60 lines of text.  If
    you're lucky (and I doubt it), you may be able to get screen widths
    of up to 132 characters.  SVGATextMode is an additional package
    you'll want to install.

  - vga modes.  Built into the Linux kernel is support for additional
    video modes.  Add the line:

        vga=ask

    ...to the general area of your /etc/lilo.conf, rerun 'lilo', and
    reboot.  You'll be prompted for the display resolution, with a list
    of possible displays listed.  Try several until you find one that
    works for you.

  - Someone also posted here in the past couple of weeks with a link to
    a consloe-based windowing system that works under GNU/Linux.  It's
    not packaged for Debian, but you may (should?) be able to get it
    running on your system.

> Will have go at the printing problem this w.e. dman made some
> suggestions to follow. Really need some hardcopy READMEs.

I find I prefer the online copies these days.  There are a few books
which have compiled them, otherwise, you may be able to print some out.
The 'mpage' and 'psnup' utilities are your friend -- multiple pages per
physical sheet.

> thanks a lot

Not at all.