Re: Power off at Shutdown

allen wayne best just ramblin in his amx wrote:

> i am trying to understand which option(s) to select (or deselect) when i
> build a new kernel (2.4.12) to have the system power off when i do a
> "shutdown -h now". i have set the following with no luck:
>
> # General setup
>
> CONFIG_PM=y
> CONFIG_APM=y
> CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF=y
> CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
> CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y

First, are you sure your PC supports APM and/or ACPI? Which one? Both?

My machine powers off quite nicely with "shutdown -h now". I have
CONFIG_PM and CONFIG_APM set, but not ...REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF or
...ALLOW_INTS. My machine probably supports ACPI too (it's a pretty
recent machine), but I don't have CONFIG_ACPI set because APM seems to
do just fine and I don't see a need to mess with it.

CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT simply tells the kernel to consider your hardware
real-time clock as a GMT value, rather than local time. I have that set
too, but it has nothing to do with powering off.

If you can't get APM to work and your machine supports ACPI, you could
try setting CONFIG_ACPI. I forget whether that's still considered
"experimental".

> # Kernel hacking
>
> CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
> CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG=y
> CONFIG_DEBUG_IOVIRT=y

These have nothing directly to do with power-off. If you don't know what
the Magic SysRq key is, turn it off (or read it up on it and find out
what it can do for you).

Craig