Power off at Shutdown

hello:

pardon my thinking without writing..... so let me try again.

i am trying to understand which option(s) to select (or deselect) when i
build a new kernel (2.4.12) to have the system power off when i do a
"shutdown -h now". i have set the following with no luck:

# General setup

CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_APM=y
CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF=y
CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y

# Kernel hacking

CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_IOVIRT=y

obviously, the last three were more or less stabs in the dark (WEG's).

any assist is greatly appreciated.
--
regards,
allen wayne best

Ramblers -- Don't you wish everyone had one?