Re: The linux and Debian operating systems

Hi there ;)

As this is your first foray into linux, I'll give you a few guiding ideas on
where to start:

linuxdistro: Linux is not a monolithic unity like f.x. windows XP. Instead Linux
consists of many thousand programes that are developed separately but with some
common frameworks. In the core of linux lies the kernel, the kerneldevelopment
is headed by a guy whos name is Linus Thorwalds, thats where the name Linux
comes from.

A linuxdistro is a colection of all these programes bundeled together with a
system to install and set them up on your system. Debian is one such
distrobution, one of the best. The other famous ones are: redhat
(www.redhat.com) and mandrake (www.mandrake.com) you can also download these for
free :)

1. www.linuxdoc.org
Most of the linux documentation is in different howto's, files that generally
tell you how to do this or that. I suggest that you look at the dual boot
howto's to find a starting point on howtos. Rule of the thumb: read the manual
twice!

2. www.linuxnewbie.com
They also got some stuff that's worthwhile to read.

3. Do you have a CD-RW bruner?
It's a good idea to download some iso's of linux cd's and try to install one of
the linuxdistros that way.
go to www.linuxiso.org to find downloads.

4. Use a separate harddisk.
I realy think it's a good idea to try seting up linux with a separate hd the
first time. (if someone disagrees, I'll listen).

5. Go to a linux usergroup. There's probably a group of people in your area that
already use linux. If you manage to locate your linuz usergroup (LUG for short)
they might help you set things up.

For your firsttime setup, i suggest that you try mandrake or redhat. When you
get used to linux, you'll whant to switch to debian :)

Hope this helps!

Tarjei

> Today I went to Dixons to ask the how much the new XP operating system cost,
> and after some discussion I was told that I could download an free Operating
> system called Linux.
Hmm. Gotta like dixons for that!