Re: Custom kernel: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 21:05

Ohlemeyer Matthias said:

> * in toplevel kernel-source directory
>      export PATCH_THE_KERNEL=YES
>     make-kpkg clean
>     make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
>
> Everything seems to work fine - the kernel gets patched and after
> answering a few questions the compile-process starts and runs
> through without any problems.

im not famillar with PATCH_THE_KERNEL and getting the system
to patch it ..do you have the IDE patch? i download it from
www.linux-ide.org.

> The options I had to set manually:
>
> NS87415 chipset support (EXPERIMENTAL) (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NS87415)=y
> VIA82C586 chipset support (EXPERIMENTAL)
> (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82C586)=y CMD646 chipset support (EXPERIMENTAL)
> (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD646)=y

none of these are related to the Highpoint controller. the option(s)
you want are probably:
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT34X is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT366 is not set
(copied/pasted from my own custom kernel)

the above is not available without the IDE patch, if your
using 2.2 which you appear to be doing

> It looks as if my Harddisk on the UDMA-controller is not found.
yes..probably because you don't have the IDE patch. or its not
patched correctly. i patch my kernels manually

patch -p0 <patchname

> Any ideas?

see above :)

my current method for installing a kernel:
download source from kernel.org
download openwall patch from openwall.com
download ide patch(if its an ide system) from linux-ide.org
download eepro update(if needed) from sycld.com(sp?)

patch up, run make menuconfig(ive heard about oldconfig but im
tied to menuconfig i like to go over every option to be sure
its what i want everytime).
run make-kpkg clean
run make-kpkg --revision=30:30.0+ow3+ide+eepro binary

(the revision changes of course and the stuff at the end tells
me what patches/modifications i did to the kernel. my latest kernel
filename is pretty big -
kernel-image-2.2.19_36.0+ide+scsi+3ware+reiserfs+firewall+eepro117b+loopback+ow3_i386.deb)
nate