Re: Installing source code: debian/rules

> Hi there,
>
> when compiling a very large program, it would come in handy
> to stop the compiling process, and start it again later.
> The make system should be able to just start again where I
> stopped, but how do I tell debian/rules to not start over
> again at configuring?

debian/rules is a makefile. Therefore you might have it run with any of
the targets it has. I guess that not let it run with the default target
will let you skip the configuration process, although you should check
whether it will not skip other things that you might be interested in.
You might consider splitting up the original debian/rules to have it
with a separate taget for the configuration part.

> And, how do I give configure options to debian/rules?

Not sure you can do this as it is. You should keep in mind that a
debian package is meant to be able to built automatically without much
human intervention. Is there a way to have a makefile accept switches
that will modify its behavior? If there is then you might use it.
Alternatively, just edit debian/rules to have the required configure
options and rebuilt the package.