Installing source code: debian/rules

Hi there,

when compiling a very large program, it would come in handy
to stop the compiling process, and start it again later.
The make system should be able to just start again where I
stopped, but how do I tell debian/rules to not start over
again at configuring?

And, how do I give configure options to debian/rules?

I am nearly sure I've seen it mentioned in the docs some
distant day, but I can't remember, nor can I find it, at
the moment. So every help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ingo