Re: Propossed Project: Odyssey

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 02:48:12PM -0500, Greg Lopp wrote:
| On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 03:21:19PM -0300, Daniel Toffetti wrote:
| > I meant a common metalanguage, so that it could be possible to write
| > one single application as interface to handle any config file.
| You should take a look at gconf and its derivatives.  The idea is
| a common configuration/registry-like interface for applications
| and any number of different backends.
|
| Damn.  I had a link to some good gconf developer stuff (including
| rational), but I can't find it now...

I'd like to see a rationale and an explanation of how this data is
stored peristently.  I'm not sure I like the gconf idea.  Just recall
the MS Windows' registry.  One thing I _really_ like about *nix systems
is the ability to use my text editor to configure everything.  I also
like including comments so that I can remember why I did a certain
thing or some syntax or option stuff so I don't have to pour through
the docs next time.

-D