Re: Propossed Project: Odyssey

> | > I meant a common metalanguage, so that it could be possible to
> | > write one single application as interface to handle any config
> | > file.
>
> | You should take a look at gconf and its derivatives.  The idea is
> | a common configuration/registry-like interface for applications
> | and any number of different backends.

This is more or less what I was trying to describe, thanks. Besides
'any number of different backends' it would be great to have (at least)
one common data format, not just the interface, so that developers
can specify the config options for their applications in that format.

> | Damn.  I had a link to some good gconf developer stuff (including
> | rational), but I can't find it now...
>
> I'd like to see a rationale and an explanation of how this data is
> stored peristently.  I'm not sure I like the gconf idea.  Just recall
> the MS Windows' registry.  One thing I _really_ like about *nix
> systems is the ability to use my text editor to configure everything.

But it doesn't need to be changed. I'm sure it's possible to define
some plain-text format. Today I see config files using key=value, XML
and other formats. It only takes to agree on some common standard and
keep the plain text.

>  I also like including comments so that I can remember why I did a
> certain thing or some syntax or option stuff so I don't have to pour
> through the docs next time.

This was one of my points. If you can define sort of a template for the
config file, describing the possible values for each item, this is kind
of 'self-describing' and helps to understand the configuration options.

Daniel
--
"There is no spoon..." - The Matrix