Fwd: Re: Propossed Project: Odyssey

Sorry I forgot to send this to the list too...

> > Does somebody know anything about any common format for
> > configuration files? Does any sense to propose this, somebody knows
> > if there are references of this in Linux Standard Base ?
> > Do makes any sense even the sole idea of such format ?
>
> ASCII text?  There's some commonality about using "#" to start
> comments. Friendly programs give verbose examples and descriptions in
> the examples.

:) Perhaps I failed to make clear my point...

I meant a common metalanguage, so that it could be possible to write
one single application as interface to handle any config file.
Think of .ini files, but with some capabilities to express more complex
data formats. Optionality, multiplicity, one among many choices, one or
more among many choices, something like this...
The possible configurations should be expressed in a template file.
I think it would be pretty to type 'config <name_of_config_file>' and
it opens a text-mode or graphic-mode interface allowing an easy
navigation through config options (radio buttons, multiple selections,
free text fields) labeled with the to-be-configured attribute.
Any properly defined configuration template should be accepted by this
'config' application, and an actual configuration file should be
generated and saved from the user selections.
I know debconf allows configuration of packages, but I don't know the
details and if it can be generalized to use in everyday configs.
Does such a monster makes sense ??

Daniel
--
"There is no spoon..." - The Matrix