Re: What happens when Woody becomes Stable ??

Brian Nelson wrote:
> Suppose you wanted to install galeon, which depends on
> mozilla-browser.  So, you did an 'apt-get install galeon', which installs
> mozilla-browser as well.  Then you try galeon for a while, and also
> check out mozilla.  You end up preferring mozilla, and use that as
> your regular browser.  After a while, you 'apt-get remove galeon'
> since you no longer use it.  However, according to your scheme,
> mozilla, which you wanted to keep, also gets removed.

debfoster handles this case though. It simply prompts you once about
each package that is installed. It perhaps needs to be more tightly
integrated with apt and dselect, so that it can skip promting you about
the package like galeon in your example, while continuing to promt about
packages like mozilla.

If you've not tried it, I highly recommend installing it on one of your
smallest and most tightly focused debian systems, and letting it do its
thing.

--
see shy jo