Re: What happens when Woody becomes Stable ??

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article <[🔎] 874rop2x8f.fsf@bignachos.com>,
> Brian Nelson  <nelson@bignachos.com> wrote:
> >Of course, the smoothest way to upgrade is to use dselect.
>
> ROTFLMAO!!

TBH, I get on very well with dselect. I tried using its apt access method
for a while, but sometimes it would do things wrong (like trying to
download packages that weren't selected in dselect), and each time I asked
Ian Jackson WTF dselect/dpkg was up to he'd say that the annoying bit was
apt's doing. Since switching back to dpkg-ftp it's all become problem-free
again.

Lots of people seem to like apt and whatever pretty front ends you can get
for it, so obviously it can't be all that bad, but is dselect/dpkg-ftp's
future still pretty secure? I hope so, but I'm worried.

Mind you, one thing I wish would happen is that the system would offer to
deselect things that were only selected because of a dependency of
something you just deselected.

-- Mark