Re: What happens when Woody becomes Stable ??

On 24 Oct 2001, Brian Nelson wrote:
(snip)
> dpkg-ftp is considered obsolete.  It's been replaced by apt.

Damn, that's annoying. ): I suppose that eventually I'll have to switch
back to apt, then. Hopefully it'll work better for me by then.

> Mark Carroll <mark@chaos.x-philes.com> writes:
>
> > Mind you, one thing I wish would happen is that the system would offer to
> > deselect things that were only selected because of a dependency of
> > something you just deselected.
>
> That's a tricky task for the system to handle because it can't read
> your mind.  There are tools like deborphan which find libs (or

It wouldn't have to - when you deselect Q, it could just draw your
attention to anything that is selected that Q depends on that nothing else
depends on. (I would have used "X" instead of "Q" but that might have been
even more confusing as a generic definition. (-:)

> anything else) that are no longer depended on.

There are many such packages, unfortunately. (-: Thanks, though - I hadn't
noticed deborphan.

-- Mark