Re: PCMCIA -- Unstable -- Kernel 2.4.12

Hi

1. Why u afraid to reboot ya laptop? You shoud leave old kernel *always*
if somthing goes wrong u can always boot in old configuration,
at the moment I got 3-4 diff kernels on my system.
2. if u try install 3Com 3c589 is supported in kernel, u can install it
like a module, (my one 2.4.12-ac5) but is in all 2.4.x
3. If u want install from source it bit tricky it took me some time and I
got absed some of my friends ;) basicly they want kill me :P
what u have to do, apt-get install pcmcia-source
then go to /usr/src over there u shoud have pcmcia-cs-somthing.deb
install it dpkg -i pcmcia-cs-somthing.deb
after this u shud get a pcmcia-cs.tar.gz file under same directory
/usr/src decompres tar -vxzf pcmcia-cs.tar.gz
it will create direcory modules with subdirecoty pcmcia-cs
go in to.
cd /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs/
then ./debian/rules binary
this will create a deb file under modules just then install it
dpkg -i pcmcia-cs-somthing.deb
and thats all :P
and
4. good luck :)