Re: Problems configuring /etc/network/interfaces

Michael Heldebrandt wrote:

> I have the same lo lines and mine works fine.  How is your eth0
> interface configured?  Is it also in /etc/network/interfaces?

No, I'm still in the beginning stages of getting my Linux machine
usable, so I haven't networked with my wife's Windows machine yet.  I
did go ahead and set the Debian machine as the gateway machine (for
future masquerading), but I didn't do much else.

> More info on it can be found with:
> man interfaces

Thanks.

> It looks like you need a default gateway to the internet through your
> ppp0 interface instead of your eth0

Yes!  Thank you!  Your saying this led me to the solution of my original
problem, namely, not being able to connect to the internet.  I had
thought that I needed such a default gateway, but I understood that it
would be set up automatically when I signed on to my ISP (which, in
fact, is true).

> pppd should allow you the option of configuring a default gateway for
> the ppp0 interface in the config files for your specific host.

Yes, the configuration file is /etc/ppp/peers/provider.  The keyword to
set the option is "defaultroute".  But this was already set properly, so
there was some other problem.  As you suspected, it was the eth0 default
gateway.  I deleted it and the problem was fixed.  Well...not entirely.
I can't make the solution stick.  When I reboot, my default gateway gets
reset to the original eth0 interface!  How can I change this
permanently?

Also, according to one person, when I do get around to setting up my
LAN, I'm supposed to set up my ethernet gateway as a *network* route
using the "add -net" option of the route command; but this was not
suggested at
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=2b86ab0506c3635d&rnum=2 where
this very problem seems to have been the topic.  Does anybody know?

Thank you!
Charles