Re: Problems configuring /etc/network/interfaces

On Wed, 2001-10-24 at 05:09, Charles Bray wrote:
> Michael Heldebrandt wrote:
>
> > I have the same lo lines and mine works fine.  How is your eth0
> > interface configured?  Is it also in /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> No, I'm still in the beginning stages of getting my Linux machine
> usable, so I haven't networked with my wife's Windows machine yet.  I
> did go ahead and set the Debian machine as the gateway machine (for
> future masquerading), but I didn't do much else.
>
> > More info on it can be found with:
> > man interfaces
>
> Thanks.
>
> > It looks like you need a default gateway to the internet through your
> > ppp0 interface instead of your eth0
>
> Yes!  Thank you!  Your saying this led me to the solution of my original
> problem, namely, not being able to connect to the internet.  I had
> thought that I needed such a default gateway, but I understood that it
> would be set up automatically when I signed on to my ISP (which, in
> fact, is true).
>
> > pppd should allow you the option of configuring a default gateway for
> > the ppp0 interface in the config files for your specific host.
>
> Yes, the configuration file is /etc/ppp/peers/provider.  The keyword to
> set the option is "defaultroute".  But this was already set properly, so
> there was some other problem.  As you suspected, it was the eth0 default
> gateway.  I deleted it and the problem was fixed.  Well...not entirely.
> I can't make the solution stick.  When I reboot, my default gateway gets
> reset to the original eth0 interface!  How can I change this
> permanently?
>
> Also, according to one person, when I do get around to setting up my
> LAN, I'm supposed to set up my ethernet gateway as a *network* route
> using the "add -net" option of the route command; but this was not
> suggested at
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=2b86ab0506c3635d&rnum=2 where
> this very problem seems to have been the topic.  Does anybody know?

I'd concentrate on finding where your eth0 interface is being configured
from if it's not in /etc/network/interfaces.  I think that whatever is
configuring it is doing something "bad" and messing the rest of the
system up with it.  I'd add the proper eth0 section in the interfaces
file and go hunting in the /etc/init.d files for anything interesting
about routing, networking etc.  I've got a similar set up with 2 cards,
cable modem, and a modem and I have the cards in interfaces and bringing
up ppp0 with pon works fine without disturbing anything.

--mike