Re: Kernel 2.4.12 compile problem (Solved)

Wayne Topa wrote:

> The above was the case when I had made the .config using 'make
> menuconfig'.  I didn't find any real solution to the above on Google
> so decided to check the .config file by running xconfig, which I don't
> usually do.  For some reason 'make dep' now works as usual and I can
> compile again.  As this doesn't make make sense, I can only surmise I
> must have screwed something up.  'make menuconfig' and 'make xconfig'
> _should_ do the same thing, after all.

Not at all, it's definitely worth knowing if "make menuconfig" has problems.

I've noticed that the .config generated by menuconfig is different from
the one made by xconfig. They seem functionally equivalent, but they are
not textually identical.

I always use xconfig unless I happen to be building on a remote machine
in an ssh session, and it's never given me any problems.

Craig