Kernel 2.4.12 compile problem

 I have been compiling the 2.4.x series without problems until now.
I am running woody, last updated today, and find that I am getting
errors while doing make dep (?) of all things.  Here is the error:
make[2]: *** No rule to make target
  `/usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h', needed by
  `/usr/src/linux/include/linux/modules/signal.ver'.  Stop.

  I have tried copying tha autoconf.h from the kernel 2.4.10 tree but
altho this works for make dep, it does not make it through the make
bzImage step.

  I see that others have successfully compiled 2.4.12 so I guess that,
all of a sudden, I am missing something.  While I search the net for
an answer, does anyone know what I might have to install/re-install?

TIA

Wayne
--
Don't document the program; program the document.