Re: Kernel 2.4.12 compile problem (Solved)

Wayne Topa(wtopa@dmcom.net) is reported to have said:
>  I have been compiling the 2.4.x series without problems until now.
> I am running woody, last updated today, and find that I am getting
> errors while doing make dep (?) of all things.  Here is the error:
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target
>   `/usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h', needed by
>   `/usr/src/linux/include/linux/modules/signal.ver'.  Stop.
>
>   I have tried copying tha autoconf.h from the kernel 2.4.10 tree but
> altho this works for make dep, it does not make it through the make
> bzImage step.
>
>   I see that others have successfully compiled 2.4.12 so I guess that,
> all of a sudden, I am missing something.  While I search the net for
> an answer, does anyone know what I might have to install/re-install?

The above was the case when I had made the .config using 'make
menuconfig'.  I didn't find any real solution to the above on Google
so decided to check the .config file by running xconfig, which I don't
usually do.  For some reason 'make dep' now works as usual and I can
compile again.  As this doesn't make make sense, I can only surmise I
must have screwed something up.  'make menuconfig' and 'make xconfig'
_should_ do the same thing, after all.

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth.
--
Every program has two purposes -- one for which it was written and
another for which it wasn't.