Re: Debian S-L-O-W Upgrading

Paul M Foster wrote:

> I just know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but...
>
> I love Debian, I truly do. Upgrades/updates are seamless. No crappy
> proprietary admin tools, just bare metal and vi for configs. Lots of
> little programs you don't get on other distros. Rock solid.
>
> But... it's like a year behind every other distro out there. As an
> example, I checked testing and unstable to see the latest version of
> PostgreSQL offered, and it looks like it's 6.5.3. PostgreSQL 7.X was a
> major update, and has been out for a while.

testing and unstable have 7.1.3, so I don't know what you looked
up.

> I realize that the all-volunteer nature of Debian means that testing and
> such take much longer. And that the testing results in a more stable
> distro.

Longer to get released?  Or for software to get into it?

Yeah, the release cycle is long.  As far as time getting software
uploaded, it varies quite a bit from maintainer to maintainer.
For example, Emacs-21 was released yesterday and was uploaded
yesterday.

Peter