Re: upgrading strategy

(cmiiw, may I conclude/rewrite)

[Aurelio Turco]
Of all the Linux Distributions, Debian is said to have the most
advanced packaging system. I regard the packaging system as very
important. So, I will be installing Debian (probably 2.2r2, from CD).
But before I do that, I would like to clarify what the recommended
upgrade strategy is. I mean: After installing a (recent) Debian
(stable) distribution, how should one keep it up to date?

[Osamu Aoki]
    One thing to remember is "be safe than sorry".

    Use of -u option for apt-get is a good idea to force display
    of upgraded package in any environment.  Run with "-s" if you
    want to be absolutely sure in advance.  I thought dist-upgrade
    takes time but resolves more dependency issues than simple
    upgrade.  So maybe used in more occasion.

    Release version to release version upgrade should follow
    instruction on debian web site.  But if you do partial upgrade
    to testing, you may expect some problem but it is rare.

    In general, If dist-upgrade causes problem, go slow is what I do.

    Install libc, then libdb*, then perl, then apt, ...in the
    sequence prior to do dist-upgrade.

If I have understood the docs correctly:

1: Do "apt-get update", to update the packages list.
   Do this before any of 2,3,4 below.

2: Do "apt-get install a_particular_package", to upgrade or newly
   install a particular package. Do this to upgrade or newly install
   individual packages as needed.
   [Danie Roux]
     It will also install and configure the packages on which
     it depends.

3: Do "apt-get upgrade", to upgrade all packages for which a newer
   version is available. Do this periodically between Debian
   releases (be they major, minor or point/revision).

4: Do "apt-get dist-upgrade", to upgrade the distribution as a whole
   (to the latest release). Do this as soon as a new Debian release
   (be it major, minor or point/revision) becomes available.
   [Tom Allison]
      note on dist-upgrade -- sometimes you have a series of
      dist-upgrade/dist-upgrade/upgrade/upgrade to get all the
      dependencies taken care of.  This makes sense if you think
      about it -- sometimes you want things to install in a certain
      order.

5: Install again from scratch, to upgrade to a new release.
   Do this only if your installed release is too far behind the release
   you wish to upgrade to.
   [Paul 'Baloo' Johnson]
     I would only suggest this one if your distribution doesn't
     have even an old version of apt.
   [Danie Roux]
     This should not be necessary, because of Debian's great
     dependencies system.
   [Colin Watson]
     You should never have to install from scratch, certainly,
     but upgrading directly from, say, 2.0 to 2.2 isn't necessarily
     guaranteed to be a one-step operation. There are sometimes brief
     instructions in the release notes about this sort of thing if
     anybody found time to work them out.

     If all else fails, old releases are archived on archive.debian.org
     and its mirrors, so if you find yourself with a buzz (1.1) machine
     that you need to upgrade you can always pull each release in turn
     from there. It might take a reboot or two as you work through
     compatible kernels.

Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org
-- Read my lips: war and reelection do not mix! ----------