Re: dpkg and apt questions :)

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 02:13:25PM +0100, Ricardo Diz wrote:
> This might have an obvious answer, but I couldn't figure it out
> myself.
> Is there an easy way to see the changelog of a new package without
> installing it on my system? The purpose of this is to know if I'm
> interested on upgrading the package or not.

Install apt-listchanges and it'll show you changelogs after downloading
but before installing. There used to be a changelog interface on
http://packages.debian.org/, but it hasn't been working for a while
(long story).

> BTW, I know I can put a package on hold using dpkg --force-hold, but I
> do not know how (or if it is possible) to see which packages are on
> hold

'dpkg --get-selections'

> and how to remove the hold option.

'echo <packagename> install | dpkg --set-selections'

... or just use dselect.