RE: Partition

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Scott Henson wrote:
(snip)
> well Im not looking for someone to hold my hand through the process.  Im
> just looking for some advice on what is a good sceme.  I will then look at
> whatever adivce I get and then determine what I need.  Thank you.

Lots of people have their own ideas. My main machine is just one big
partition (plus a swap partition) and that works fine for me. (-: On
others' systems I tend to at least separate fairly critical system stuff
that won't grow enormously, from other stuff. Often that'll mean
separating maybe /tmp /var /usr/local /home from the root filesystem. Of
course, you can do that with just one other partition and some symlinks.
It's absolutely reasonable and maybe advisable to make more partitions if
you have a reasonable idea how at least certain parts of the disk will be
used, though.

FWIW, our company web server apperas to have:

$ df
/dev/hda1                50717     11112     36986  23% /
/dev/hda3               495746      1379    468764   0% /home
/dev/hda4              2468327    482681   1858034  21% /usr
$

-- Mark