Framebuffer is cool, but can I still use NVdriver module?

I have a TNT2 video card. I put framebuffer support in the kernel
(2.4.12), and the framebuffer seems to be working fine. Great
resolution, so I sure don't want to go back to svgatextmode.

I can get X working using the fb device, but I'd very much like to use
nvidia's NVdriver module instead. (Perhaps I don't know how to use the
fb device correctly in X, but it seems to give poor performance. I'd
welcome suggestions about how to improve performance in X using the
framebuffer! But it still probably wouldn't be accelerated...)

When I try to use the NVdriver module, though, the nvidia splash screen
comes up, and then a portion of my screen is blotted out by an
evil-looking purple and then green-striped box. And X then crashes if I
try to exit it, leaving a solid green box in my console.

Does anyone have the framebuffer working in the console, while using the
NVdriver modules for X? Is there some trick I should know? The
framebuffer howto doesn't seem to address nvidia cards.

Or is there just something wrong with my NVdriver module? I've been
using the debianized package for it for several months with different
kernels, with no problems until now, but maybe something's changed...

Lance Simmons