Re: X server setup error

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 06:26:46PM -0700, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:02:44 -0400, dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 12:21:36PM -0400, Greg Lopp wrote:
> > | The following is what I see when I try to start X on my testing
> > | system.  This system has a trident 3Dimage975.  This worked fine
> > | under 3.3.6, wasn't supported by 4.0.3 and is still giving me
> > | trouble since support was added in 4.1.0
> > | (http://xfree86.org/4.1.0/Status33.html#33)
> > |
> > | @@@@@@
> > | X server setup error
> > |
> > | FATAL ERROR :
> > |
> > | This Xserver does not support the Shape extension.
> > | This is required for Enlightenment to run.
> > |
> > | Your Xserver probably is too old or mis-configured.
> > |
> > | Exiting.
> > | @@@@@@
> > |
> > | Is there anything that I can do, other than go back to 3.3.6?
> >
> > Switch to sawfish?  Personally I like sawfish better.
1) Tried that.  The result is the same.
2) sawfish doesn't do sticky-focus like I want.  E can be
configured to raise a window by clicking anywhere in it.  Sawfish
will only raise a window if you click the titlebar.  At least
that was the situation when I last used it.

> Except that doesn't solve the problem.  In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
>
> Section "Module"
>         Load    "ddc"
>         Load    "GLcore"
>         Load    "dbe"
>         Load    "dri"
>         Load    "extmod"  <== Think that enables "Shape" extension

Ah, we have a winner.  When first trying to get XFree86 4.?
working, startx would fail on 'SubSection  "extmod"'.  I
commented it out, only to see it fail on 'Section
"InputDevice"'.  I cleaned out some XF3.3.6 stuff and started
getting the error which prompted this question.  I'd uncommented
the extmod stuff in XF86Config, but not XF86Config-4 (which I
hadn't actually been using until that XF3.3.6 stuff was gone.)

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Greg