Re: apt preferences semantics (was Re: Shall I upgrade to Woody?)

* dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) [011018 09:39]:
> However, it doesn't seem that apt does what _I_ want it to do right
> now.  I want to follow woody, except for a couple things that are
> only available in sid.  So the semantics I want are : install package
> from sid plus deps.  Everything else is woody.  When that package
> eventually gets to woody, have the package follow woody and not sid.
> It seems from the man page that once I install something from sid I'm
> stuck with sid for that package, unless maybe I explicitly force the
> package(s) to woody.  The modify-sources-install-return-sources has
> the semantics I want, except that I have to remember to return my
> sources.list (which I forgot once on my desktop).
>
> I just installed galeon and mozilla-psm (neat!) using the preferences
> stuff.  When I tried
>
>     apt-get -s install galeon
>
> I was told that lots of stuff was too old.  When I did
>
>     apt-get -s -t unstable install galeon
>
> I was told that lots of stuff not needed by galeon would be installed
> too.  I eventually did a
>
>     apt-get install galeon <package1>/unstable ... <packagen>/unstable
>
> to get all of galeon's dependencies.  While it worked, I don't think
> that is the Right Way to do it.  Also, it seems that those packages
> will be "stuck" at coming from sid even when they enter woody.
>
> Enlightenment is welcomed :-)

USe a default pin between 0 and 100 for unstable. This will give your
installed version higher priority(100) than any new unstable versions,
but lower priority than any new woody versions (whose default pin I
assume you have set in the high hundreds). As long as your woody
priority is less than 1000, packages selected fom unstable won't be
downgraded/removed in the meantime.

This will solve the problem of packages getting "stuck" in sid, but I
can't give a good answer on how to fix the first problem of having to
manually specify package1/unstable package2/unstable package3/unstable.

HTH and good times,

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.