Shall I upgrade to Woody?

I know this is a bit to generic question, and it has been probably already
discussed a 1000 times,
but I'm fairly new, so please forgive me if I ask it nevertheless.

Is there a big risk in upgrading to Woody now?
What speaks agains it?
What is the main advantage in doing so?

Also to give a little more background to the question:
I yesterday foolishly tried to experiment with adding some unoffical sources
to the apt sources.list.
Basically I wanted to get a recent Mozilla already packaged as deb.

I somehow didn't payed attenion while selecting, or else dselect
automatically has found and selected
severel nver versions of some basic packages, without me noticing, because
it installed several new
gnome packages etc.
Also suddenly some of the packages which were installed (e.g XMMS) claim to
be missing some
dependencies, which I can't find in the package list anywhere etc.
(Allthough it works - at least for mp3s)
I've also had trouble installing mozilla from tarballs. It was missing
libstdc++libc6.1-1.so.2 etc.

So the thought occured to me, that I could do an upgrade to Woody and get
the latest from everything...

Some related problems:
1. Just checking. If I would want to upgrade to Woody, I'd need to add
'testing' or 'woody' to the sources.list,
and then I'd need to issue 'apt-get dist-upgrade'?

2. Is it possible to somehow delete the package database, and make apt
reread the official ones from debian.org?

3. Is it possible to go back to the state in dselect before you started
making selections?
I know that i theory 'R' should go back to the state before the current
selection, but sometimes it
seems to get stuck in a loop and alway brings me back the same dependency
screen.
Also if I made several selections, but then change my mind and want to go
back to the state where it was
when I've started dselect, is this possible?

Many,many thanks for your help in advance!
best regards,
Balazs