Re: apt preferences semantics (was Re: Shall I upgrade to Woody?)

I am learning this new apt thing.  APT with preference ROCKS!

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 12:04:39PM -0400, dman wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 10:04:33PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> | On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 06:03:55PM -0400, dman wrote:
[snip]
> | I used to do this.  Do not.  Check "man 5 apt_preferences".
> |
> | It is much more reasonable to have testing as default (Say pin 700) and
> | unstable as pin 600, stable as pin 500.  List all 3 sources in
> | sources.list.  If you really nead to upgrade to unstable, you can do
> | that with:
> |
> | # apt-get -u -t unstable dist-upgrade
> |
> | See my web page below for some of my experiences.
>
> Good info on your web page.  I copied your sample preferences file.
> It doesn't seem to work "right" on my desktop, but it does work on
> this laptop.  I once accidentally upgraded to sid on the desktop so
> that is probably why it isn't right.

First thing to check is order of entries in sources.list.

If testing and unstable are pointing to the same version, APT picks
sources listed first in the list.  So even when those packages are also
in testing, it may appear to be unstable.

> However, it doesn't seem that apt does what _I_ want it to do right
> now.  I want to follow woody, except for a couple things that are
> only available in sid.

Sounds like you have unstable sources before testing.

> So the semantics I want are : install package from sid plus deps.
> Everything else is woody.  When that package eventually gets to woody,
> have the package follow woody and not sid.  It seems from the man page
> that once I install something from sid I'm stuck with sid for that
> package, unless maybe I explicitly force the package(s) to woody.  The
> modify-sources-install-return-sources has the semantics I want, except
> that I have to remember to return my sources.list (which I forgot once
> on my desktop).

To be honest, I do not know how exactly the logic behind it.  I remember
reading it somewhere (source?) but can not find it again.

> I just installed galeon and mozilla-psm (neat!) using the preferences
> stuff.  When I tried
>
>     apt-get -s install galeon

   $ apt-cache policy galeon

 gives package situation w.r.t. stable/testing/unstable.

  $ apt-cache showpkg galeon |less

 gives also some dependancies beyond my needs :-)

> I was told that lots of stuff was too old.  When I did
>
>     apt-get -s -t unstable install galeon
>
> I was told that lots of stuff not needed by galeon would be installed
> too.  I eventually did a
>
>     apt-get install galeon <package1>/unstable ... <packagen>/unstable
>
> to get all of galeon's dependencies.  While it worked, I don't think
> that is the Right Way to do it.  Also, it seems that those packages
> will be "stuck" at coming from sid even when they enter woody.

> Enlightenment is welcomed :-)

I need it too:-)

--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +