Re: How can I get ntp working?

(please don't Cc me on list-mail, I read all the lists I post to. sigh)

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:58:14 EDT, Tom Allison writes:
>The answer is....
>
>Use a simple server for your ntpd and never ever let it go down.
>Some places I know have something not much better than a Pentium 1 with
>kernel 2.2.xx on it.  Uptimes for things like this and DNS servers
>should be in the years, if all goes well.

That would strike me, and most customers, even on fairly big networks,
 as overkill. ntp doesn't put much load on a server and wasting an
 entire box just for that... Also for convergence times to minimise
 you'd have to use extra boxen for the better part of your hierarchy,
 which of course implies even more boxes, say one per site.

But it isn`t that much of a problem, anyway.

cheers,
&rw
--
-- I'm picturing Windows NT jamming a network backbone
-- going "la la la la I can't hear you la la la la la"