dns and exim troubles ...

Hi y'all,

I've got some trouble with DNS and exim, and I hope someone'll
be able to help me on my way ...

I am running a testing version of Debian right now, but the
problem was there even when running Debian 2.2r0.

OK, so now what happens?

if I try to

  telnet smrgol smtp

(with smrgol being my local host) it takes about half a minute
until I get the "... connected to ..." message, and about the
same time until I get the exim greeting.

If I, instead, use the IP address, I am instantly connected,
and then it takes some time to start exim.

(BTW, exim is handled by inetd).

Any ideas where the problem might be?

kind regards,

Ingo