Re: How can I get ntp working?

The answer is....

Use a simple server for your ntpd and never ever let it go down.
Some places I know have something not much better than a Pentium 1 with kernel 2.2.xx on it. Uptimes for things like this and DNS servers should be in the years, if all goes well.

Unfortunately, if you've got a whole bunch of servers waiting to start to synchronize with your main time server(s). In a hierarchical environment you can get up to hours until they all are in sync :(

Running ntpdate and starting ntpd immediately after doesn`t address that problem, I'm afraid. But that, I guess, is the tradeoff for ntpds deep black, but very precise magic...

cheers,
&rw