Font problem with Gnumeric etc.

Hello,

I have a problem with some fonts displaying the text as squares instead
of the letters.  I noticed the problem initially with Gnumeric, but it
also appears with xmms playlist display.  So I don't think it's a
Gnumeric problem, rather than a problem with fonts in X, or how Gnome
is handling the fonts.  This problem appeared about a month ago when I
updated some X and X fonts packages using apt-get (I forget the time and
packages exactly, unfortunately).

I am running Debian unstable.  XFree86 3.3.6.  I don't usually run
Gnome, just some Gnome applications from time to time.

I have made a screen capture of the problem, it's at
http://www.wizzu.com/scratch/gnumeric-window.gif

I found a similar problem report on debian-user from Dominique Dumont
<domi@ispserv.grenoble.hp.com> at Sep 4th. (Archived at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200109/msg00310.html )
But the fix that worked for him (re-arranging the font configuration
lines in the XF86Config file) does not work for me.  Also, I can't get
the fonts show correctly in Gnumeric regardless of the magnification.
But it is similar in the for every 2 typed characters I get 1 square.

My X configuration for fonts looks like this:

    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath "unix/:7101"

I am not subscribed to debian-user, so please Cc all replies to me as
well.

I'm at a loss what to do to get fonts showing properly again in
Gnumeric, so I'm thankful for any help, ideas or suggestions.

Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  // sig@wizzu.com // http://www.wizzu.com/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //  net.freak    //  DALnet IRC operator/