Weird font problem with gnumeric, gimp and others

Hello

When I launch gimp (for the first time), the 'GIMP Installation'
window shows only lines and lines of squares instead of text.

I have the same problem with gnumeric cells but only for a
magnification above 75%. And if I type 6 letters in a gnumeric cell,
only 3 square blocks are shown. (could it be an attempt to display 16
bits characters ?)

The number are displayed correctly in gnumeric if I choose a
magnification below 100%.

I'm running unstable debian on a 1600x1200 display.

Here's the configuration of my xserver:
Font Path:
  /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
  /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,
  /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,
  /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
  /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
  /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi,
  /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,
  /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/

Has anyone a clue on how to fix this problem ?

Thanks

--
Dominique_Dumont@grenoble.hp.com