Re: Problems browsing a site

on Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 10:32:05PM -0700, Ross Boylan (RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org) wrote:
> At 08:33 PM 10/16/01 -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >on Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 04:54:14PM -0700, Ross Boylan
> >(RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org) wrote:
> >     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/javascript-rant.html
> >
> >Write your councilmember as well.
> >
> >In general, sites should avoid client-side scripting.  It's necessary in
> >only the very fewest of instances.  It grossly erodes site
> >accessibility.
> >
> >Ask if the library would be willing to design its doors in such a way
> >that a quarter of the people of the city would be unable to pass
> >through.
>
> Well, maybe you've convinced me sites should try to avoid java/script
> (I didn't mention it, but this one uses javascript as well as java, I
> believe).  But I still don't understand why I'm having problems with
> this site, given that my browser is java-enabled.
>
> What's your basis for saying such issues render the site inaccessible
> to 1/4 the potential users?

I thought it was http://www.counter.com/, but can't find the page.  At
any rate, an over-the-web stats tool that's javascript enabled.  The
number of hits from non-Javascript enabled clients was on the order of
21-25%.  This is from a broad base of largely simple, end-user sites, it
may not be fully representative, but is probably a relatively good
sample.

Can't find the reference currently.

Peace.