Re: gnome slowdown

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 02:22:10PM -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
| On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Frank Preut wrote:
| > On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 03:02:09PM +0200, Frank Preut wrote:
| > > hello,
| > > 	after i finally solved my sound problems in gnome, the bugger is
| > > gnawing at my nerves again.. now it slows down in a very haphazard
| > > manner.. first of all it seems to start up slower than before..
| > > secondly, applications might load normally but then take minutes to shut
| > > down.. or they "sleep" for some 15 seconds or so before they continue..
| > > the whole thing is very slow to respond most of the time.. i'm on
| > > testing and i recently upgraded X to the infamous 4.1-7 release and my
| > > kernel to 2.4.10-686 and i wonder whether anyone else is seeing this
| > > kind of problem.. the machine (a pII-350 with 256M) isn't the fastest on
| > > the planet but it was much more bearable before..

That machine should do just fine.  I had a PII-300 (only 64MB RAM) up
until several months ago and had no performance problems with it.  I
got a new machine because Compaq makes bad desktops -- not expandable
at all.  I didn't make a big jump, only a Duron 750 with 256M RAM.  I
have so much memory because it was cheap (the first 128M stick was
cheaper than 2 64s would have been so I went for it, the other was on
sale for very little money).

| I just installed unstable freshly, including GNOME.  I noticed that GNOME
| was *totally* useless if esd wasn't running.  Nautilus would hang for
| 15-30 seconds at a stretch, as would Galeon.  Logging out was impossible
| or took a very long time.  Generally nothing worked properly.

I bet those apps are trying to play sounds, and eventually timing out.

| After compiling and installing ALSA, apt-get installing esound, and adding
| myself to group "audio", GNOME was clipping right along.
|
| I think that GNOME should not depend on esound to run properly, especially
| given that many people have no sound output device.

I run GNOME just fine at home (the Duron mentioned above) with no
sound card whatsoever.  (PC speaker doesn't count, it only beeps)  I
either disabled esd or ignore the warnings about not finding /dev/dsp.
I'll have to check after I get home.

-D