how to remove penguin logo

Well, I have installed 2.2 on a i386 system with a Matrox Millenium MGA
G100 AGP card and a ViewSonic P655 monitor. The logo looks bad, but that
doesn't matter. (The student using the workstation was new to Linux and
couldn't even recognize that it was a penguin.)

The problem is that the logo stays on the screen even after the kernel and
the system boots. It uses up screen space (plus it never drew correctly
in the first place).

How can I easily choose to never display any logo?

Please note that I attempted to search using the glimpse interface for the
Debian lists and search via google's usenet search, but never found an
answer within all the noise about logo contests and framebuffers. Feel
free to point me to documentation, FAQ or mailing list posting that
answers this question.

  Jeremy C. Reed
     BSD software, documentation, resources, news...
     http://bsd.reedmedia.net/