Re[2]: Help: SB16 & 'potato'

Hello Joseph,

Wednesday, October 17, 2001, 22:16:54 Acasica, you wrote:

JWD> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Petre Daniel wrote:
>> it's not hard.
>> i have a creative sound blaster 16 myself.
>> just do "modprobe sb" and you're all set.

JWD>   I'm surprised - that *did* work.  I had managed to get it working before
JWD> on a previous installation of potato I had by jumping through hoops with
JWD> insmod, isapnp and suchlike. [bad memory on my part - I have no idea these
JWD> days just what I finally did last time to get it to work :]

>> i think you're supposed to edit /etc/modules.conf or /etc/conf.modules
>> and add an alias for sb
>> but i bet modutils can do that for you.

JWD>   I remember trying to do that before and ending up with a ton of
JWD> "/etc/modules.conf is newer than /lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/modules.dep"
JWD> errors [and vice-versa].

>> good luck and don't forget "saytime" and "mpg123"

JWD>   First things I grabbed. :)

   you're right.i forgot about those things.
   It's an isa card,right? so first you have to check it out,sort of
   speak,hehe.like "pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf"
   then you have to edit that file and set the irq and port and
   activate it.then run "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf" and it should say
   that soundblaster something enabled..
   then there is a command in modutils that i can't remember right
   now,that sets that not to go away after reboot.i might be wrong..
   once the card is set up,then just issue "modprobe sb"
   or "insmod sb".mine it loads sb,mpu-401,soundcore,soundSOMETHING..
   so like 4 modules..
   i can't remember if you either edit /etc/modules.conf now or work
   with modutils to keep enable the sb modules autoloading after
   reboot..hmm...gotta get some lecithine :p
    c yah,and gluck.

   Dani,
   Winmodems unsupport.