Re: gnome slowdown

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 06:10:57PM -0400, dman wrote:
| On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 02:22:10PM -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:

| | After compiling and installing ALSA, apt-get installing esound, and adding
| | myself to group "audio", GNOME was clipping right along.
| |
| | I think that GNOME should not depend on esound to run properly, especially
| | given that many people have no sound output device.
|
| I run GNOME just fine at home (the Duron mentioned above) with no
| sound card whatsoever.  (PC speaker doesn't count, it only beeps)  I
| either disabled esd or ignore the warnings about not finding /dev/dsp.
| I'll have to check after I get home.

Ok, I'm home now :-).  After loggin in (via gdm),  "ps -A | grep esd"
show nothing.  Looking in the gnome control panel under sound I see
that the "Enable sound server startup" check box is not selected.  As
a result the "Sounds for events" is disabled.  So as it turns out, I'm
not running esound at all on this (woody) machine and have no problems
at all.  (Well, I can't play music, but that's what I get for not
buying a sound card ;-))

-D