Re: Non-Debian kernel source

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 02:55:58PM +0000, Vittorio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using potato with Bunk's 2.4.9 kernel suitably compiled for my
> hardware.
>
> Now I wonder if - according to your very revered opinion - it would be
> reproachable, disgusting to install a 2.4.12 (or better the forthcoming
> 2.4.13) kernel downloaded directly from www.kernel.org and compiled in
> the ordinary way make dep clean bzImage .....
>
> I mean: what really is against it?

There is no problem in doing that what-so-ever. I have a number of
programs compiled from direct source, including the kernel. The great
thing about linux (not just Debian) is that you have the choice to do
things how you want. The debian package system is wonderful, but you
are certainly not restricted to it. Of course, when you compile from
directly aquired source, it becomes your responsibility to handle any
problems/build issues/etc that arise. But then, I've never had any
problems with the kernel source.

--
John Patton                      patton66@home.com

"'Tis strange--but true; for truth is always strange,
stranger than fiction." - Bryron, Don Juan