Re: Settings in WM won't save

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 04:14:09PM -0400, Scott Glover wrote:
> this is driving me nutz!
>
> btw: i've been searching for the answer... and now i'm here.
>
> problem:  xwindows settings will not save.  I'm still busy configuring x and
> related things... but every setting i change gets reset once the server is
> rebooted or x is restarted.  For example; i'll run xvidtune to get my
> display nice and centred...restart, back where it was.
>
> What do I need to do to get these settings to stick?

Try starting xvidtune from xterm, change the setting and push the "show" button. That will make xvidtune to echo a modeline in the xterm window. Then edit /etc/X11/XF86Config (or if you are running version 4.0 or later of XF86 XF86Config-4) and create a Modeline with these values, you may have to remove other Modelines to ensure that your own will be used.

> question:  which conf file starts x at boot?  Currently my system
> automatically starts x and I can't get out of it.  Exit just puts me back at
> the x login screen.  How can I change this?

a) Try Ctrl-Alt-F1 and you should get the first virtual console. Alt-F7 normally gives you X back.
b) /etc/init.d/[x|k|g|dm] stop will shutdown X.
c) to make that change survive a reboot you could either "apt-get remove xdm" (or whatever display-manager you use) or, if you want to make this a learning experience, let xdm run only in certain runlevels (see man update-rc.d and man init)