Settings in WM won't save

this is driving me nutz!

btw: i've been searching for the answer... and now i'm here.

problem:  xwindows settings will not save.  I'm still busy configuring x and
related things... but every setting i change gets reset once the server is
rebooted or x is restarted.  For example; i'll run xvidtune to get my
display nice and centred...restart, back where it was.

What do I need to do to get these settings to stick?

question:  which conf file starts x at boot?  Currently my system
automatically starts x and I can't get out of it.  Exit just puts me back at
the x login screen.  How can I change this?

If anyone can answer this great, could you also provide a link to a
howto..doc..any resource which says how to do this?

		thanks,
			scott