Re: Sound not working in X/Gnome - Was:How to make on board VIA VT82C686B sound chip work?

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 08:25:02AM +0200, Morbo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I didn't realize that there was anyone else running a shuttle
> > mainboard. Cool. On an unrelated topic, do you get some garbage on the
> side of
> > your screen that seems to be caused by interence from something? My board
> > has a Savage S3 chip on board and I'm assuming that this is the cause of
> > the problem. This only appears in console mode, not in X.
>
> I'm not sure what 'garbage' you mean...
> Sometimes I have some flickering white 'scanlines' to the right of some
> windows when I try to drag them.

	I get white flickering while in console mode on the left hand side of
the screen. This may be caused by interference coming from another
electronic device on my desk. I move some things around and see what
happens.

> Also, what X server are you useing?

	I'm using the SVGA server that was installed by the install script on
my shuttle CDROM. Yes, beleive it or not, they do have linux drivers for
their on board video. The chip is an S3. X wouldn't work until I installed
them. The manual says 4 to 32 MB frame buffer using system memory. Does
that mean that you can specify that your card has 32 MB of RAM when
configuring X?

> The SVGA server which came with Potato seems to support Savage4.
> But there's also one to download at ftp.spacewalker.com .
> I don't know what's the difference...
>
> regards,
> Balazs