Re: How to make on board VIA VT82C686B sound chip work?

At 17:03 14.10.2001, Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:
On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 01:54:54PM +0300, Antti Tolamo wrote:

> I hope this helps,
>
> Antti
>
> My PGP public key:
> http://linux.tola.org/~chicken/antti_pgp.txt

        I have the following modules listed in modules.dep:

/lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/misc/via82cxxx_audio.o
/lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/misc/ac97_codec.o

        In /etc/modules I have:

ac97_codec

        Is this all you need to get sound working?

Technically yes. Practice you may need to do bit
more.
As I've used modconf, it apparently adds modules
that dependeach other. Atleast a I added ac97, came via82cxx
*and* OSS module came with then too.  I suspect you have
OSS too if you have those first two?
I think those mentioned should suffice, but I'm 100% sure.
I only installed via82cxxx  or ac97 with modconf
and rest necessary came with it.

Then it could be good idea to install esd
or alsa support too. But I think they
aren't necessary as such.

But even if it works, you need to add everbody
who wants to listen sounds to  user 'audio' group
otherwise only root can listen. And yes,
look the bios that your setting are right
and your soundcard  or chip is enabled
there.

>How can you test if its on?

Technically I don't know. I'm not very  sawy
with linux.  Best way of course it is to
use ears and run some sound file. Like
mp3 with freeamp or similar.  Just check
that what whatever you use to play
soundfiles, uses drivers that works.
Not something(like alsa driver) that you don't
have or doesn't work.  Looking my freeamp,
there is 'soundcard.pmo' that I think is default
driver that should work if  the souncard  just
is working.

And note, you may need to reboot, to get the sound
card to work. The /dev/audio or something in linux
I think can get  'jammed 'if one has a wrong soundcard
and tries to play something that doesn't work. Mainly
I mean that it can get busy if one has wrong driver
which one tries to use and then there is no easy way
to shut it up and replace it with working new one without
rebooting.  You can't even uninstall the modules then. Or then
I just don't understand Linux and audio very well
as I don't know how to.

However don't be imiated all this, it should work just fine
if soundmodules are right and rest I've mentioned is
OK. Audio isn't actually very difficult to setup,
altough it is good to know things I mention above so that
no one gest no grey hairs. ;)

Thanks in advance
Ian

p.s. I'm using 2.2.19pre17

Same as mine, should work.

btw. does anybody knowshow to get mplayer to
zoom video clips with Viper770 card?

Antti

Antti

My PGP public key: