Re: programs not appearing on desktop menu

joe golden said:

> I am running the testing version of debian and have recently

> installed  povray, zed, circlepack and cooledit among others.  None

> of these recently  installed programs appear on my desktop.  I can

> call them from an xterm, but  can't get them directly from the

> desktop as with my other programs.  Any  ideas??

what window manager? how are you going about installing them?

debian packages usually provide menu entries. if they are not

debian packages its very unlikely they will automatically create

entries. and some window managers have to be manually updated to

see the menu changes. e.g. in afterstep i have to run a task called

"Update startmenu" at times after a new program is installed to see

it. i think enlightenment is the same or at least it was a year or so

ago. not sure about other window managers afterstep is the only one

i use.

to manually update menus in the system try  'update-menus' this will

build the system menu tree. its rarely needed to do this manually

though.

nate