Python versioning

Right now, there seems to be four groups of Python packages in
sid/woody: python* python1.5* python2* python2.1*

I had understood that python and python2 have been kept in parallel
mainly because of earlier licensing issues, but now I am starting to get
confused.

Could someone please explain the reasoning behind these four groups, or
provide some friendly pointers to where to learn more.

TIA,

Jesper

--
          Jesper Holmberg            |"But how can |
  jesper.holmberg@enst-bretagne.fr   | one be warm |