Re: Woody: X won't start after upgrade to 4.1

Gerhard Kroder(gerhard.kroder@t-online.de) is reported to have said:
> David Harrigan wrote:
>

> > Probably Branden Robinson's comment applies
> >
> > > There is a bug in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86-common_start in 4.1.0-7:
> > >
> > > Change:
> > >
> > > exec "$REALSTARTUP"
> > >
> > > to:
> > >
> > > exec $REALSTARTUP
>

> i had the same problem: startx died, GDM login either. Applying the
> above solved it.

Just upgraded and find something odd.  Root can log into X with or
without the above 'fix'.  Users can't log in with startx (blank gray
screen, cursor moves but thats it). the errors are interesting for
users.

(1)
Error:            Cannot open "/var/tmp/server-1.xkm" to write
                    keyboard description
ls -ld /var/tmp/
drwxr-xr-t    3 root     root         1024 Sep  9 04:45 /var/tmp/

Touching the file /var/tmp/server-1.xkm doesn't change the error.

(2)
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

(3)
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
removing from list!

Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
removing from list!

Both of the above are there and have files in them (?)

(4)
waiting for X server to begin accepting connections ( It never does)

The interesting thing is the if a user executes xinit, instead of
startx, the X server works just as it did before the upgrade,

The 'Couldn't load XKB keymap' error still exists but I have seen that
error for a long time now.

Hope this might help anyone else that has Users locked out of X.

Wayne
--
Those who can, do. Those who cannot, teach. Those who cannot teach,
HACK!